Monday, September 29, 2008

Welcome to ADHD Genes!

Welcome to ADHD Genes!

I have created this blog to explore a hot topic in the world of ADD and ADHD. How much of the disorder of ADHD is due to genetics? Are there certain "ADHD genes"? If so, where are they located, and where in the body are their effects the greatest? Be sure to check back soon, because there will be a lot of content on ADHD genes that will be added over the next few weeks. If you have any questions on ADD or ADHD genes or a related field, please post them below! I will try to find an answer for you in an upcoming blog post.

ADHD Genes

4 comments:

Betsy Davenport said...

I see your "Treatments" blog is getting all your attention. Whenever you get to it, I would be interested in what you report about genetics.

My current understanding is that the heritability factor is .8 which means it's highly heritable, though I have forgotten most of my statistics knowledge base.

I do know that AD/HD is considered to be so heritable that it is in second place to HEIGHT. Which means, when we look at Sammy and say, wow he's tall, and Jorge says oh yes, you should see his dad, no one bats an eye.

Think AD/HD next.

Hey, Maggie is sure, um, somewhere else, then Jorge can say, without it being a criticism, Oh yes, have you met her mother?

Unknown said...

Nicolas,
We are considering medication for our son, age 6. He has the met/met allele of COMT. Based upon your research, what types of medication would you suggest first?
Thank you,
Erica

clarck said...

Want to boost your focus? Try Doxiderol which is natural focus pills contains high quality ingredients like Vinpocetine, Caffeine, Citicholine.

evmode said...

Do you still check here? I would love to get in touch about organising and cataloguing the collation and discussion of research you've done here. Perhaps in a wiki format. Currently /r/adhd funnels in most of the online attention but the format of Reddit doesn't lend itself to persistent info.

I can scrape your sites for myself with Python but it'd be nice to talk and/or get your permission (if you give it, that is!).